About the Holy Cross Guidance Department
The Holy Cross High School Guidance Department seeks to assist students reach their highest academic, social and spiritual potential. We accomplish this in collaboration with parents, teachers, and administration embracing the mission and philosophy of Holy Cross. Our counselors practice in a warm, friendly, non-judgmental and confidential atmosphere. Caseloads are small allowing counselors to know their students well.
Throughout the high school years, counselors place special emphasis on student performance in relation to their individual abilities. The primary objective during freshmen year is to ensure that every student has a successful transition to high school. In the sophomore year, students are encouraged to continue to strive academically and to volunteer and explore career interests to promote self-awareness.
The junior year is a time for thoughtful college and career planning. Parents and students attend individual and group meetings where they will receive information and materials specifically prepared for Holy Cross High School. The Holy Cross School Guidance Department works closely with each student to prepare him or her for the college selection process. Our goal is to have our students accepted to an affordable college that has the academic major, extracurricular programs and an environment conducive to their future success.
Senior year is the culmination of our joint efforts. No activity is overlooked in order to make sure that college and scholarship applications are processed in a timely, efficient and effective manner. In September, there is an annual financial aid meeting where practical aspects of the application process are discussed. We are a highly successful college preparatory high school with outstanding college acceptances and scholarships awarded. The school counselors take pride in recognizing the uniqueness of each individual student and working with him or her to succeed in high school and beyond.
Guidance Tips for Remote Learning
The following tips will help you to be engaged with your classwork on remote learning days whether you are a hybrid student or fully remote student.
1. Create a routine where you go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
2. Set a daily alarm to wake up at least 30 minutes before your first period class.
3. Designate a study space that is quiet, free of distractions and comfortable for learning. Sit at a table with a comfortable chair.
*It is NOT good practice to sit on your bed when engaging in remote learning.
4. Minimize distractions by keeping social media and gaming systems out of sight.
5. Have your tools accessible such as; chromebook, notebooks, textbooks, pens, paper, calculator, etc.
6. Open Smartpass and keep the tab open for the entire school day. Guidance is using
the Smartpass program to call students to the Guidance Office.
7. Check your HC Gmail for any new emails from counselors and teachers.
*It is a good habit to check your Gmail throughout the school day.
8. Access your Google Classroom
Follow your schedule as if you are physically in school. Start with your period 1 class. You are to complete and submit your Period 1 assignment before the end of the class. Your submitted assignment acts as your attendance for the class period. Then move to your period 2 through period 8 classes and remember to submit your assigned work before the end of each period.
9. Do some quick stretches in between “switching classes”.
10. Be an active learner; take notes, participate in class discussions, communicate with your friends and classmates and ask questions.
If you have questions, email your teacher, counselor, and/or an administrator.